A simple vegan cheese can in fact be made using four ingredients, nuts, herbs, lemon and water. Most vegan cheese is made using nuts as they pack in delicious flavour and provide that amazing texture we all love so much.
By soaking cashew nuts in water for four hours, they become softened, then it’s all about blending them in a food processor with your favourite herbs, lemon juice and spices, refrigerating for an hour or so, and voila – perfect vegan spreadable creamy cheese.
Some of the most widely used herbs in vegan cheese include chives, garlic, basil and parsley. For something more indulgent, be sure to add truffle or chilli oil, or sun dried tomatoes.
Below are two simple, quick vegan cheese recipes to get you on your way.
Best Vegan Cheese ParmesanHere is an easy vegan cheese parmesan recipe that’s just delicious:
- 3/4cup raw cashew nuts
- 3/4teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- 1/4teaspoon garlic powder
Delicious Vegan Mozzarella
- 1 Tablespoon potato starch powder
- 1/2 Tablespoon tapioca flour or starch
- 5 Tablespoons water
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 3 teaspoons agar powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon coconut vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon xantham gum
- Combined potato starch, tropica flour starch with the water and stir until its dissolved.
- Heat coconut milk until it comes to a low boil, then toss in the agar powder until dissolved, then add the coconut vinegar and salt
- Mix xanthum gum and coconut oil in a mixer (on its highest setting)
- Reduce the heat of the coconut milk and add in the flour mixture and xanthum gum mixture to it, whisking continuously.
- Transfer mixture into ice cube train before it gets too thick to pout (very NB) and refrigerate for a few hours.
- When it’s ready for eating, it’s a good idea to serve it with tomato and basil on a toothpick, and to be even more fancy, spoon over balsamic vinegar as well.
Vegan Tofu Feta CheeseThis one is slightly different and uses delicious tofu instead of cheese
- 1 block tofu, pressed and drained for at least 30 minutes
- 1 Tablespoon of nutritional yeast
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 Tablespoons lime or lemon juice
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- Either cut the tofu, or crumble it like feta into a bowl.
- In a separate bowl (or a jar) mix the rest of the ingredients together until well combined. Shake it if in a jar.
- Pour the mixture over the tofu and stir until its well coated.
- Marinade for a hour, or overnight and enjoy with your favourite salad.